Then maybe you should consider the North Coast of the Dominican Republic as your next learn to surf destination.
Not many people realize that the Dominican Republic has more to offer than just lazy all inclusive holidays; it’s a paradise destination for people that are seeking an active adventure holiday in the Caribbean.
Why a surf trip to the Dominican Republic?
- Year round warm water and air temperatures ( leave your wetsuit at home)
- Gentle and consistent waves year round that are ideal for people that have never surfed before
- Unspoiled beaches: no high rise condos on the beach are allowed on the beaches
- Friendly vibes from the locals
- Great waves for surfers of all levels: from mellow beach breaks to hard core barrelling reef breaks, the North coast has it all.
- It’s affordable: generally speaking a similar surf holiday in Coast Rica is 40% more expensive.
What else does the Dominican Republic offer?
Maybe the question should be rephrased as: ‘What doesn’t this Caribbean island offer? (answer skiing and snowboarding).
There are so many exciting activities to do that there is no need to get bored. To name some of the more popular choices: Diving & Snorkelling, the north coast offers world class conditions for those that want to see the world from beneath the water line.
Canyoning & waterfall tours: Exciting day trips like the Canyoning trip should be on every thrill seekers itinerary. Combine spectacular scenery with adrenaline driven jumps and rappels from and trough waterfalls
Water sports: Other than surfing, the DR also offer world class windsurfing, kitesurfing and Stand Up Paddle surfing conditions. Ideal learning conditions exist for those that are new to those sports whilst challenging conditions are present most days for the experts.
Where to stay:
Cabarete, a small surfer town on the north coast is considered the action sports capital of the Caribbean. Cool vibes and a surfer feel make this a mecca for a young & international crowd.
Swell Surf Camp is the specialist boutique hotel for adults that are interested in learning to surf. Swell provides quality accommodation with health breakfasts and 4 dinners included in your stay. The large open communal area is ideal for solo travellers to meet new people.
Language: Spanish but English is widely spoken.
Currency: Dominican Peso (DOP)
Airport: Puerto Plata International airport (POP) is 25 minutes from Cabarete
When: Year round
Time zone: UTC -4 hours all of the period (same as new York)