During the Fall months, when the leaves have turned andthe air is crisp, one can find the mystical lights of jack-o-lanterns dimly illuminating the neighbourhood, indicating that the unique festival of Halloween is just around the corner. Halloween is celebrated in many countries across the globe and is one of the world’s oldest festivals dating back to pagan times, its origins embedded deeply in the Celtic Festival of Samhain. Today, Halloween is one of the most vibrant festivals celebrated across the world and includes fun traditions of costumes, candy and trick-or-treating, playing scary pranks, scary decorations like scarecrows and ghosts, pumpkins, graveyards and cobwebs. People take tours ofthe nearby haunted attractions and one can see the iconic Halloween symbols dotted all throughout the city during this time of the year, which include animals like black cats, bats, spiders and figures, such as ghosts, skeletons, witches and wizards. Halloween is one of the most fun, entertaining and extravagant festivals and the rustic ambience of the fall months just make a perfect setting for this festival for the dead. Here is a list of some of the best destinations in the world that will help to plan a trip during Halloween –
- Salem – The list begins with Salem, infamous for the Salem Witch Trials, one of the most gruesome acts that occurred during the 17th century where twenty-six women were once tried and then put to death for being witches. Today, the town hosts Halloween events and organises tours of haunted and infamous spots throughout the month of October. There are numerous attractions like hanging re-enactments, witches’ circles, fireworks, and a parade.
- Transylvania – Transylvania in Romania has had a long connection with Dracula and Vampires. Transylvania was said to be the home of the infamous, Vlad the Impaler. Vlad was said to be a cruel ruler and is said to have enjoyed torturing people. Vlad the Impaler later became the inspiration for Bram Stoker’s famous book ‘Dracula’ and the nearby Bran Castle became Dracula’s Castle. Transylvania hosts numerous festivals and tours, including the tour of the Castle during the Halloween season.
- New York City – The New your city Halloween celebrations are extravagant and attract visitors from across the world, so much so that it ends up shutting down lower Manhattan. The best places in New York city for Halloween celebrations include Greenwich Village, that is host to an amazing Halloween party with dancers, costumes and a huge parade with giant puppets. Another destination in New York for some scary Halloween celebrations include the Village of Sleepy Hollow that is infamous for the legend of a Headless Horseman. The legend has been adapted into a novel ‘The Legend Of Sleepy Hollow’ along with a movie ‘Sleepy Hollow’ starring Johnny Depp. The village hosts many tours, including cemetery tours and other interesting events.
- Mexico – Mexico celebrates Halloween in its own style. The extravagant ‘Dia de Los Muertos’ or ‘Festival of the Dead’ is celebrated over several days during late October and early November. The festival is a chance to remember the deceased and boasts attractions like feasts, skull-shaped sweets, parades, skeletons, lots of tequila, dancing and mariachi music. The best cities in Mexico to host some of the most splendid Halloween celebrations are Oaxaca, famous for an enormous street festival and Cancun, famous for parades, festivals, displays and a picturesque abundance of costumes, puppets, food, candles, masks or even skeletons. Few more interesting Halloween destinations for spooky getaways are here.
- New Orleans – New Orleans is in Louisiana is home to several Halloween festivals and events. The “The Most Haunted City in America,” makes the most out of its title organising tours to spooky French Quarter and world-famous cemeteries. The city is famous for its voodoo traditions, which include voodoo temples, cemeteries and events like the Voodoo Music Festival along with other attractions including street parties, art experiences and Krewe of Boo Parade.
- Londonderry – Ireland being the traditional birthplace of Halloween, welcomes the festival with bonfires, party games, traditional food, drinks and is home to one of the biggest festivals home to one of the biggest celebrations: The Spirits of Meath Halloween Festival. One of the best places to visit in Ireland during the Halloween month is Londonderry, that hosts numerous parades and annual festivals and offers many attractions and places to visit like The St. Columb’s Cathedral, the St. Eugene’s Cathedral, the Bishop Street Within, the Bishops Street Gate along many others.
Want to celebrate this Halloween with kids & family? Read where to go on Halloween with kids.